Saturday, October 4, 2008

First Rain

We've had our first rain of the fall. Not much, but enough to get that clean rain smell and make all the local TV stations start their "storm watch" and crank up the Doppler radar. Some poor hapless reporter will be sent on location to demonstrate that its wet outside.

The weather is starting to cool down again and I can bring out my hand knit scarves and start wearing them. I love the cool weather. Especially on a weekend, when I can sit at home on the couch all warm and cozy and knit. I love listening to the sound of the rain on the roof. I love the howl of the wind when we get a big storm. I love watching the rain fall. I think I love the rain because that is when I feel most blessed. I have a roof over my head, warm food to eat and I am surrounded by those who love me. The storms of life may rage, but I know I have been blessed. Even if there is a storm in my life, I know that like all storms, it will not last forever.

Right now I am actually knitting a striped scarf for myself from Noro Silk Garden. Its a rustic yarn (meaning as you knit bits of vegetable matter often fall out of it and it varies in thickness through the skein) made of silk and wool. The colors of Noro yarn are amazing. I am using 2 skeins and alternating them. One is very neutral colors: brown, tan & grey while the other is all fall colors: orange, red, yellow and green. Its a fun knit because you never know how the stripes will play out.

1 comment:

Gomerriffic said...

You know, I had told myself, Noro is scratchy and well, expensive. You don't want it. But I have to tell you after eyeballing your scarf and checking out the yarn you were using, I may have to cave. Besides...I like vegetables! :D