Sunday, April 11, 2010

Chicken Marsala Stew

I found this recipe in the paper and it sounded really great so I decided to try it. I did make a few tweaks to the original recipe.

Recipe: Chicken marsala stew with spring vegetables

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Serves 4
INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided (I used garlic olive oil)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 teaspoon salt ( I left this out, don't tell Bob)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced (I used fresh shitake mushrooms from the farmers' market)
8 ounces baby carrots (I sliced up 2 regular carrots)
1 cup frozen baby peas (I don't care for peas so I sliced up 2 ribs of celery)
1 large sweet onion, chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (since I used garlic olive oil, I only added 1 clove)
1/2 cup marsala wine I used the whole bottle!)
11/2 cups chicken broth (fat free, salt free, again for Bob)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

INSTRUCTIONS
In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high. Add half the chicken pieces and season with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and repeat with another 1/2 tablespoon of the oil and the remaining chicken, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Add another 1/2 tablespoon of the oil to the pot. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they begin to soften and give off liquid, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the carrots and peas, then sauté for another 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of the oil to the pot. Add the onions and sauté until they soften and start to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Pour in the marsala and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes longer. Add the chicken broth and reserved vegetables, then bring to a simmer.
Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and vinegar and simmer until heated through, about 3 minutes.

Per serving: 361 cal.; 33 g pro.; 26 g carb.; 10 g fat (2 sat., 6 monounsat., 2 polyunsat.); 68 mg chol.; 821 mg sod.; 6 g fiber; 12 g sugar; 25 percent calories from fat.

Yum!

No comments: