Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Travels on a Wednesday.

Its so nice to have a day off in the middle of the week.

This morning Bob decided to make breakfast so we lingered over french toast and bacon while we decided what to do today. I have been wanting to take our old freezer to the dump so we decided that would be the activity of the morning. Bob loaded it in the back of the truck and off we went. The dump is no fun place in our town. You drive in, pay your fee and then back into one of the unloading bays and step out into a world of stink. I am amazed at what people throw away. I saw furniture that needed minor repairs and a fake ficus in perfect condition. Sometimes I get disgusted by the waste in our society.

As we pulled out and headed back down Fruitridge we decided spur of the moment to take a drive. We ended up heading out the Jackson Highway. It was so nice to hear meadowlarks singing and see wide open fields. I wish I had brought my camera, but this was an unplanned trip. We saw yarn on the hoof (sheep) and many herds of beef cattle. Let me interject here that I am glad I am not a cow. I watched some of those calves having breakfast and have to say if I were Momma Cow I would be putting an end to the head butt thing while nursing!

We ended up in Placerville and since IO had always wanted to try it, we decided to have lunch at Sweetie Pie's. Its located on Main Street in an old Victorian home that was built around 1865. They have restored it and the food is great. I had a chili rellano casserole and Bob had a french dip. We decided we would have to come back and try their breakfast menu. Best of all, they are right next door to Lofty Lou's, Placerville's yarn shop. Let's just say I fell off my yarn diet today. Its a tiny shop but the people are very friendly. They had some interesting yarn made from, of all things, banana fiber. It felt like the stringy part of the peel, but not slimy. One of the girls also showed me a yarn made of 100% sugar cane. It was very smooth and silky like the bamboo yarn I have seen. I am amazed at what they make yarn out of these days. I guess if times were tough I could try to eat my stash!

As I type this, Bob is firing up the grill for dinner. This has been such a wonderful relaxing day!

No comments: