Friday, November 14, 2008

Birthday B&B

This year for my birthday, my husband decided to give me a special treat. He knows that I get a little down on my birthday because that is one day I really miss my Mother. She used to make a big fuss over me on my birthday.

This year, Bob decided to take me away to a Bed & Breakfast. He asked me where I would like to go and I suggested the foothills. So Wednesday morning we headed up Interstate 80 for our little mid week get away.

Our first stop was Old Town Nevada City. Its a quaint little town along Highway 49, "The Gold Country Highway". There is a lot of history to be seen and many quaint shops and unique eateries.



Beer - its not just for breakfast anymore!

We then headed over to the Empire Mine. The fall colors were spectacular. It was so refreshing to see the cerulean blue sky and to smell the pine scented air. It was a gorgeous day to be outside!


Even Bob was excited to be outside.

Really.

The grounds of the Empire Mine are lovely. The owner based his home and garden designs on homes he saw in Europe so it has the "Old World" feel to it. You almost feel like you are visiting a European Manor House.




After exploring a bit, which for me did not include entering the mine as I am extremely claustrophobic (I am starting to hyperventilate just thinking about it!), we headed off to check in at our Bed & Breakfast.

Bob looked at a lot of sites for B&B's in the Gold country and finally settled on the Sierra Sun Cloud Inn. Its a beautiful home on 18 acres at the top of a hill in a private community.

We stayed in the "Sundance Room, which overlooks the pond. From our very comfortable bed

We could watch the sunset.

The owners Guy & Alysia were very gracious hosts and went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. We drove into Colfax and had dinner at a lovely Italian restaurant called Bella Sera. The food was excellent and the ambiance wonderful. After dinner we walked through town and peeked in all the windows. Only one shop was open, the Whistle Stop Quilt Shop. They were having a small class but welcomed us in. Wouldn't you know it, I found yarn! I bought some 100% linen yarn at quite a steal.

We went back to the B&B and settled in to the game room to relax and watch "The Bucket List" which we thoroughly enjoyed. Guy brought up some homemade pumpkin pie for us to snack on.

The next morning we woke up to a delicious breakfast of pastries filled with sausage and eggs, yogurt with fresh berries, and fried potatoes. After breakfast we walked around the grounds and admired the views.


Even though you are only 2 miles from Interstate 80, you feel like you are far away from everything. The B&B backs up to the Weimar Institure with miles of hiking trails, but this was a relaxing trip so we did more eating, shopping and snoozing.

After leaving the B&B and bidding farewell to our gracious hosts, knowing that we will definitely come back, we went into Colfax to eat at the "Drooling Dog Barbecue". We ate ribs and made a mess but as Bob says, "if ribs ain't messy, they ain't good!" He also had a side of garlic potatoes. These people take their garlic seriously! It wasn't minced garlic but whole cloves of roasted garlic in there. Luckily he wasn't planning on kissing anyone but me.

After lunch we went to Grass Valley and did some shopping and yes, I found the yarn shop on the main drag. Fibers is a lovely little shop staffed with friendly people. They are getting ready to launch a web store. They also come up with some very unique kit ideas. Bob's favorite part of the store was a rocking sheep that bahh'd. It was so cute! He almost bought it.

We headed back home feeling tired but refreshed mentally. Can't wait to go back!

1 comment:

My Little Room In The Corner said...

Sounds lovely. Aren't birthdays like that fun. Hope you have another year of bliss, happiness and blessings.